Friday, March 20, 2015

The mother ship is calling

For the past two days I have been in Washington, D.C., sitting and listening. Watching and writing. Exciting, huh?

As a professed trucking book nerd and policy wonk, for me this is fun. To a point.

See, I've been reporting on the happenings of the Entry-Level Driver Training Advisory Committee. I find this process intriguing and believe press watchdogging is crucial to the honesty of what happens here.

That said, I’m ready to get out of here. I’m ready to not be in a room filled largely with people who have no idea who truckers are or what trucking is really like.

There are exceptions here, but by and large I feel like I’m at a suit convention.

I want to be around real truckers, talking real issues. People who understand that when a shipper cancels on you, you just took a huge hit. It’s not a random day off during the week.

I want to be around people who connect me to the real effects of what the Beltway gang find minor or just an inconvenience.

I want to laugh and tell trucker jokes. I want ... You’re probably getting the picture. 

I want to be with my people.

Fortunately, the mother ship is landing next week in the form of the Mid-America Trucking Show. I, like many others, cannot wait to answer its call and head to Louisville.


No comments:

Post a Comment